• Growing number of UK portals reflects UK housing market recovery
• UK listings up 50% y-o-y on TheMoveChannel.com
• “Hard to shake” the dominance of Rightmove and Zoopla
• New portals “have to do something different”
• Enquiries on TheMoveChannel.com up 23% y-o-y
TheMoveChannel.com’s Property Inspector. Taking a closer look at global real estate each month.
The UK housing market is on the up. It’s no secret. Sales, lending and prices are all rising. The biggest sign that UK real estate is recovering, though, is the industry’s response: new property portals and estate agents are popping up all over the internet, from the announcement of easyProperty to even Poundland’s founder starting EstatesDirect.com.
At the top are Rightmove and Zoopla, enjoying rising traffic levels. As new agent-backed portals launch to combat the dominance of the big sites, TheMoveChannel.com’s podcast discusses the state of the UK property portal industry.
Are there too many portals? Will it ever be possible to end the dominance of the big websites?
We interview Ian Spencer, Marketing Manager of real estate lead generation specialists Lead Galaxy.
An abridged transcript follows: